Class 2 plates already fitted to vehicles are being phased out gradually. Operators will be permitted to continue using Class 2 plates that are already fitted to their vehicle until they require normal replacement because the plates are damaged, have faded or are being replaced as they are incorrectly fitted.
From 1 January 2021, when an operator needs to replace the Class 2 plates fitted to a vehicle, the plates must be replaced with Class 1A, Class 400 or UNECE R70 marked plates.
The fitting of new Class 2 plates to a vehicle after 31 December 2020 is prohibited.
What vehicles MUST be fitted with ‘Do Not Overtake’ signs:
• Vehicles or combinations 7.5 metres or more in length that have to straddle lanes or turn from an adjacent lane in order to turn left or right at intersections.
What vehicles MAY be fitted with ‘Do Not Overtake’ signs:
• Any motor vehicle less than 12 tonnes GVM
• Any trailer less than 10 Tonnes GVM
What signs are needed?
• If space permits – use Category 33 and 34 as first choice.
• If category 33 are selected, use either 31L or 33L as well.
• If category 34 is selected, use Category 33 on the right, or use Category 34 on both sides
• If no room on vehicle for category 33 or 34, then category 31 or 33L can be used. Use in conjunction with rear marker plates (Candy stripes)
• Candy Stripes to be used wherever space will permit to show each extremity of the vehicle.
Installation of Do Not Overtake signs:
Maximum of 500mm space from each side of vehicle
Maximum of 2000mm gap from ground to bottom of sign